NSW V’s Great Britain Police, Seagulls Stadium Tweed Heads 1992

NSWPRL 1992 that played against the Great Britain Police at Seagulls Stadium Tweed Heads on Tuesday the 30 June 1992.
Back Row:        Michael Barrett, Chris Kelly, Craig Green, Steve Martin, Tony Hood, Justin Quinn.
Middle Row:    Andrew McCollouch, Mark McGuire, Richard Bassett, Keith Caldwell, Ben Guinnane, Tony Ballard, George Radmore.
Front Row:      Keith Baird, Peter Nissen, Warren Lee (Captain), Paul Edwards, Steve 'Spike' Coleman (Coach)
Ballboys          Caldwell, Matt Nissen

After the inaugural 1990 trip to the United Kingdom, the Great Britain Police planned their inaugural trip to Australia in 1992.  Several games were played against the NSW Police Rugby League representative team.  On the 30th June 1992, the Great Britain Police travelled to the Gold Coast, their intention to play a curtain raiser to the Seagulls verses Great Britain game across the border at the now defunct Seagulls Stadium, Tweed Heads, NSW, against an invitation NSW Police team.  The nucleus of the NSW team were from the all conquering NSWPRL 1990 United Kingdom touring team.  Eleven of that team flew to the Gold Coast and joined Peter Nissen, who worked at Tweed Heads and had also toured in 1990.  Chris Kelly, Mark McGuire, Justin Quinn and Richard Bassett were all regular players in the Group 18 competition in the Northern Rivers competition, who also worked with Peter at Tweed Heads and Kingscliff Police Stations.  As twelve of the 1990 touring squad knew the old moves and the way each other played, it was an advantage for  Coach 'Spike' Coleman to gel the team with the Northern Rivers Police in the limited two day preparation.

The game itself was played before the Seagulls verses Great Britain match of the touring Great Britain Lions touring team.  The night itself was foggy and cold, and reminded the NSW boys of their time in England in 1990. To top it off, six thousand English supporters joined the thirteen thousand 'Aussies' and the singing and cheering created a fantastic atmosphere to play under. The Seagulls Stadium was a fantastic arena to play a game, where the crowd is very close to the ground similar to Leichhardt oval.
Alex Ramsay the President of the NSWPRL at the time, and Doug Keen lent their services to play with the Great Britain team.  NSW started the game in a fast and intense fahion, which came to be expected from teams coached by 'Spike' Coleman.  Great Britain matched NSW in this area for the first fifteen minutes and had NSW pinned in their own half. Clever half back Keith 'Cocky' Caldwell steered the attack and gained some good field position with his tactical kicking game.   After a slick move, NSW captain Warren Lee scored the opening try followed by, Tony Ballard, Tony Hood and Keith Baird.  'Golden Boot' Paul Edwards converted two of the goals and NSW went to the half time break with a twenty to nil lead. In the second half, Great Britain came out pumped and again started off with great intensity.  Great Britain scored two tries, converting one which reduced NSW's lead and making the score twenty points to ten.  NSW started to find combination again with Paul Edwards, Steve Martin and Chris Kelly all scoring tries.  The final score was NSW 36 Great Britain 10.  A post match dinner and presentation was held at Seagulls who made both teams feel welcomed to their enormous adjoining Leagues Club.


Leave a Comment