MaCarthur Bulls (History)


                                                            1970 to 1995.


The club was an inaugural member of the NSW Police Rugby League competition(Fred Hanson Shield) which was formed in 1970.


Prior to 1970 there was a competition named “Cabramatta R.F. League Rec. Club Shield” which was played between police teams from Liverpool/Merrylands and Parramatta. These games were played between 1965 and 1970.


During the years from 1970 to 1972 the team's name was Liverpool/Merrylands Police RLFC and played in the colours of the St George Dragons, red and white. They played their home games at McCredie Park, Guildford. The teams during these times were competitive but failed to make the

semi-final series.


In 1974 the team's name was Liverpool/Bankstown Police RLFC, playing home games at McCredie Park, Guildford and wearing the St. George Dragons colours (red/white). Training was at the Polo Field at Warwick Farm Racecourse. The team played well during the season and were the first Liverpool side to make the semi-finals. The team went on to play in the Preliminary Final against Eastwood and had led at halftime, but, were run down in the second half and lost in a tight struggle 10-6.


In 1978 the club was reformed after an absence of three years in the competition and were known at the Liverpool Police RLFC (nicknamed-Pool). They played their home games at Woodward Park, Liverpool and Dwyer Oval, Warwick Farm. They played in blue jerseys with white shorts sponsored by Gary Dowling Sports Store, Liverpool. It was a hard season for the club having played games under trying circumstances with injuries to players and lack of player numbers. They only won one game and drew another which was against the Premiers Easts. They were the wooden spooners and were commonly known as the Easybeats.


Years 1979 to 1983.

During these years the club were more settled and organized. They secured home games at Dwyer Oval, Warwick Farm (Home of the Liverpool “Bulls” Rugby Union). Played in the colours of Penrith, brown and white (chocolate soldiers). After playing home games they would have a BBQ at the ground and a few games of chance (Crown and Anchor) with a few beverages. After that they would adjourn to the El Toro Hotel which was just around the corner from the oval.The major sponsors for these years was Relaxaway Tours (Oliveri transport), El Toro and Green Valley Hotels.


1979- This year was the resurgence of the club as a force in the NSW Police Competition. The team finished equal fourth with Five Dock and Cronulla. They had to play two games in a week, winning the first game against Five Dock 20-15. The next game a few days later against Cronulla resulted in a loss of 20-8. During the season they played twelve games, won 6 lost 4 and drew 2. Scored 211 points and conceded 176 points.


1980-The team this year won the Minor Premiership, the first for the Club. They were undefeated during the season proper and scored a total of 328points and conceded only 98points in16 games.


In the Major Semi Final the team beat Newtown 31-7 and were hot favourites to take out the competition.



1980 Con't - Playing against Newtown at Redfern Oval, on a miserable winter's day, with constant rain and a wet track. The team had many chances to score tries, but, due to the conditions, would lose the ball at crucial times to miss try opportunities, even some when over the line. The kicker for the team Dave Williams was not on target and missed relatively easy kicks for his standard. Nothing went right and to the disappoint for the players and the Club the team Lost 17-13.


1981-The team won the Minor Premiership for the second year in a row and only losing two games during the competition rounds.

At the commencement of the finals series the team encountered injuries to key players (Peter Natty and kicker – Dave Williams), which was a major factor in loses in the major semi final to Five Dock 25-11 and in the Preliminary Final to Newtown(Premiers)18-3.

A disappointing end to the season,but, another good effort by the team during the year.

Played 13 games, Won 9 and lost 4. Scored 204 points and conceded 123 points.


1982-The team performance was solid, but, was not on par with the two previous seasons, having played 14 games with 9 wins, five loses. They finished the season in fifth place and played Waverley in the minor semi-final, losing 17-16, unlucky not to have won, having scored 4tries to 3tries, goal kicking letting them down.

They scored 204 points and conceded 152points.


1983-The team made the semi finals after a moderate season, winning nine games and losing seven. They won the first minor semi final against Wollongong in a controversial finish to the game.The Wollongong side were leading 10-8 when the siren sounded. A player from Wollongong had the ball and when hearing the siren went to the ground. The fact that no Liverpool player touched him, the referee awarded a penalty to Liverpool for an involuntary tackle. Liverpool kicker Paul Carlton kicked the goal from 35 metres out with the ball skimming over the cross bar. In extra time, Liverpool scored a try and won 16-10. In the next semi final the team were defeated by Five Dock 20-12.

Played 16 games, won 9, lost 7. Scored 257 points and conceded 183points.


Years 1984-1987.

During these years the club changed colours, as Penrith had joined the competition and wished to have the brown and white colours of there local First Grade side. The team now played in the colours of the Wallabies (Aust. Rugby Union) Gold & Green and which were also the colours of the Liverpool “Bulls” Rugby Union who also played home games at Dwyer Oval, Warwick Farm. This was the commencement of the Liverpool side getting the nickname “Bulls” and the singing of that controversial song which is heard when they Win. After home games a function would be held at the El Toro Hotel where we would be host to Bob Westbury who would put a buffet on for the club and their opposition. The major sponsor for these years were Peter Warren The Westerner.


1984-The first time in four season saw the side miss out on the semi-finals. The season was interrupted with postponement of games due to wet weather, having to play three games in the last week, which was difficult and proved too much, losing all three games.

They played 12 games, winning 6 and losing 6.




1985-The team recruited new players from the Fairfield patrols which strengthened player numbers, but, also created lack of cohesion on the paddock. The team made the minor semi final, but, were beaten by Maroubra/Waverley in a close match 10-8.

They played 13 games, winning 7, drew one and losing 5.




1986-The team commenced the year in good form with 4 wins and a loss. The team's performance deteriorated due to players injuries and work commitments. In the last game of the season the team needed to win against Cronulla, but, could only manage a draw, placing them in equal sixth position.

They played 12 games, winning 6, drew 1 and lost 5.


1987-The team had a good season with a fourth spot position in the competition. In the first semi final they played Wollongong and won 12-4. The next game they played Penrith and won 16-10. In the Preliminary Final they played A District and lost 12-10. The team played very well and were unlucky to have lost, with crucial errors by referee Graham West and poor goal kicking.

They played 13 games, won 8 and lost 5.


Years 1988-1990.

The club was known as the Liverpool I District RLFC. The name was changed to incorporate players from patrols/stations in this District (Liverpool, Green Valley, Macquarie Fields, Campbelltown, Camden, Picton). During the previous three years the club had players from Fairfield patrols, but, a new club K District was formed, so our club lost the players from Cabramatta, Fairfield patrols to this club. The club also changed colours to Green & Gold (Kangaroos, Aust Rugby League). In 1988 the games were played at Dwyer Oval, Warwick Farm, but the next two years due to this ground be unplayable(under water) were played at Yulong Oval, Moorebank (Army ground).The club's major sponsors for these years were The El Toro and Green Valley Hotels, Casula Mall and Westfields.


1988-Prior to the commencement of the competition there was real doubt that the club would field a side. Due to loss of players to K District, there was a desperate move to recruit players. In a pre season game against Penrith there were just enough players to field thirteen.

The team played well all season and only lost one game, winning it's third minor premiership.

In the Major Semi Final, after having a two week break, the side were beaten by Maroubra/Waverly(Wombats) 20-12. They then played L District (Cronulla)in the Final and won 14-12.

In the club's second Grand Final in a very close encounter against the Maroubra/Waverley side the team lost 10-2. It was a very defensive game with only one try scored. The team had chances, but, bombed a couple of tries. Another disappointing end to the season, but, a great effort for the club.

They played 16 games, won 13, lost 3, scored 349 points and conceded 118 points.


1989- The team made the semi finals series and won their first preliminary semi final against Cronulla 28-12. In the next game against A District in a very defensive game the team lost 8-7. It was a game that the team probable should have won, especially near the end of the game when having plenty of possession, but, could not get the ball over the line. There was also a mix up by our halfback Scott Hartas who did a “Terry Lamb”(failed in Maths) and thought the scores were 6all, and with about a minute remaining potted a field goal to end the match at 8-7 to A District.

They played 17 games, won 12, drew 1 and lost 4. They scored 281points and conceded 133 points.



1990-It was a disappointing season for the club having only winning 4 games with 10 loses and a draw.

There was always effort from the players, but, it was very difficult due to many players being injured early in the season. It was a struggle getting a team on the paddock, having a times to get players from officials and supporters. All games were played and gave a good account of themselves.


Years 1991 to 1994.

The name of the club during these years was Liverpool/Campbelltown PRLFC, as the majority of the players were from Liverpool, Macquarie Fields and Campbelltown areas and clubs were moving away from being named as a District. The club moved home games to Wood Park, Ingleburn, next to the Ingleburn RSL, where after game functions were held. The team played in the Green & Gold colours in 1991, then changed to the local First Grade-Wests Magpies colours of Black & White. The major sponsors for these years were Masterton Homees, Westfields,Westinghouse and Wattlegrove.


1991- There was an influx of new players to the team and they improved from the previous season. They won 7 and lost 7 games during the season, with one game being cancelled at halftime when a player from the opposing side-Sydney was seriously injured. After this season there were signs that the club would progress to be again a prominent team in the NSW Police Competition.


1992-The team was another improving result, with them playing 15 games, winning 9 and losing 6. They finished in equal sixth position in the competition, narrowly missing out on the semi-finals.

They scored 296points and conceded 238points.

There was no shortage of players for this season and there was good commitment to training and on the field. They were well coached by Peter Hinds.


1993 – At the conclusion of the competition rounds the club were placed equal first with three other sides, but, on percentages were placed in fourth position. The club was in the semi-final series for the first time in four years.

In the minor semi final they played the strong Easts side and were defeated 24-6, however, considering that this team had not played in semi finals before they acquitted themselves very well, having only lost the game in the last fifteen minutes.

They played 17 games, won 13 and lost 4. They scored 225 points and conceded 158 points.


1994 – The team had a very inconsistent season, finishing the competition just outside the top five and missing out on the semi final series.

They played 14 games, won 8 (one by forfeit) and lost 6. Scored 170 points and conceded 157 points.


1995- This year saw the club move home games to the Campbelltown Showground(home of the Harlequin Rugby Union) and was the beginning of the change of the name of the club to Macarthur Bulls. At the function room of the ground a presentation would be made to the players and a BBQ & beverages would be partaken. Afterwards some would then go to the Tennis club or the Court Tavern for some more beverages.

The team commenced the season in good form with five wins and two losses, scoring some great tries, due to the insurgence of two star players in Trevor Krause and Mick Ricketts who were in there first year with the club. The club won two of their last four games, but, without these player in the semi final were beaten by Penrith 18-6 and were eliminated from the competition. This season laid the platform for the next two seasons, where in 1996 they made the Final and in 1997, won the Premiership.

During this season they played 13 games, won 8 and lost 5.




During the years from 1970 to 1995, the club has been an intricate part of the NSW Police Competition

having won the Minor Premiership on 3 occasions, played in the semi final series on 11 occasions, finalists on 3 occasions and Grand Finalist on 2 occasions.


The club is renowned for always playing games against opposing sides, even though at times having to get players from officials, supporters and players with injuries onto the ground. They have never forfeitted a game.

The aim of the NSW Police RLFC was to build comradeship between people from other stations to play against each other in a game of rugby league and afterwards to socialise with these police to build mateship and friendship. There are many memories for life. Regardless of winning or losing in games this club has always maintained that aspect of life and has made this club a Great One.


The club wish to thank all officials, supporters and players during the years from 1970 to 1995 which continues to play in the NSW Police RLFC as at 2008.



Yours in Sport,


Barry Ryan

Life Member of the Macarthur Bulls PRLFC.

The following photograph was published on the back page of the Daily Telegraph newspaper in 1998.
The picture depicts Mark Easton (Head guard) and Andrew Barry from the MaCarthur Bulls, tackling Eastern Suburbs
Wombats front rower Brendan 'Moose' Mooney during the 1998 Police Grand Final.  This game was won 12-2 by
the Wombats after a sterling game and two try effort by their second rower Trent Southworth who scored two tries.
The game had to be played at the home ground of the Liverpool Catholic Club as due to ongoing torrential rainfall
throughout Sydney, all other grounds were closed.

Macarthur Bulls Police Rugby League

 Golden Years – Greatest Team

1996 – 2008


This team was selected by 3 Life Members who have been involved with the club as players, committee or coaching throughout the period 1996 – 2008. The selectors are Rod Sheraton, Greg Colless and Dale Keegan.


The Golden Years of 1996 to 2008 were the years when the club consistently become a force in the NSWPRL competition. This is taking nothing away from the other great Liverpool teams from previous era’s who made Grand Finals and Minor Premierships. The period 1996 to 2008 were the years the Bulls won 3 premierships, played in 7 Grand Finals, won 3 minor premierships and played in 10 semi final series. The selected team would be unrivalled by any team within the period of 1996 – 2008.


The criteria for this team:

  • Ability
  • Performance during period 1996 - 2008
  • Loyalty
  • Contribution to team performance


It must be remembered the team was selected on performance during the period 1996 – 2008 and prior performance for the club was not taken into account.


The selected side is:


  1. Ben Fairley (2002 – 2006)
  2. Martin Evans (1997 – 2008)
  3. Danny Maher (2001 – 2008)
  4. Bob Simpson (2001 – 2008)
  5. Jason Brooks (2004 – 2008)
  6. Trevor Krause (1995 – 2001)
  7. Mick Ricketts (1996 – 2001)
  8. Guy Haberley (1991 – 2002)
  9. Mark Easton (1993 – 2003)
  10. Brett Lee (1996 – 2003)
  11. Graham Hibbs (2000 – 2005)
  12. Dale Keegan (1995 – 2001)
  13. Greg Colless (1995 – 2006)
  14. Brock Freeman (2002)
  15. Jay Orange (2003 – 2004)
  16. Paul Quigg (1989 – 2001)
  17. John Maher (1998 – 2004)


Coach: Greg Matterson

Liverpool – Macarthur Police Rugby League Club


                GREATEST TEAM 1969 – 2008


This team was selected by club Life Members & Club Legends Alan Stephens, Barry Ryan & Peter Nellies.


Alan Stephens has been with the club since early 70’s and continued his involvement as a player, committee member, supporter or coaching until 2006. Barry Ryan become involved with the club from mid 1970’s and has remained with the club as a player, committee member, supporter or coaching right up until 2008. Peter Nellies started with the club in 1983 and continued as a player, committee member, supporter or coaching until 2008.


The team selected was done so on the following criteria –

  • Ability
  • Club Performance
  • Team contribution
  • Club Loyalty
  • Overall achievement in Police Rugby League



The team selected is tough, exciting, experienced, loyal and all have tons of ability as Rugby League players. Each and every one of them were winners who loved playing for Liverpool or Macarthur Bulls. Congratulations to each and every one of you for your contribution to the club and this wonderful achievement.



  1. Brett David (1985 – 1994)
  2. Paul Edwards (1988 – 1996)
  3. Peter Natty (1979 – 1982)
  4. Peter Gillam (1979 – 1982)
  5. Martin Evans (1997 – 2006)
  6. Trevor Krause (1995 – 2001)
  7. Mick Ricketts (1996 – 2000)
  8. Steve Reeves (1973 – 1988)
  9. Mark Jones (1985 – 1990)
  10. Guy Haberley (1991 – 2002)
  11. Peter Nellies (1983 – 2001)
  12. Brett Lee (1996 – 2003)
  13. Tony Fay (1989 – 1996)
  14. Paul Quigg (1990 – 2001)
  15. Paul Cavanagh (1984 – 1985)
  16. Mark Easton (1993 – 2003)
  17. Rob Gleeson (1988 – 1994)


Coach: Greg Matterson (2001 – 2004) 

Life Members Liverpool Police Rugby League Club

                          Macarthur Bulls


10 years continued loyal service as player, official or sponsor.


Mel Clews

Fred Whitton

Steve Reeves

Alan Stephens

Barry Ryan

Neville Bates

Mick Sweeney

Peter Nellies

Shane Howard

Bob Westbury

Pat Paroz

Darren Farr

John Cotterill

Paul Quigg

Michael Cleary

Frank Oliveri

Guy Haberley

Brad Davey

Peter Danyluk

Dale Keegan

Rodney Sheraton

Greg Colless

Garry Heskett

David Gabriel

Alan Godfrey

Garry Graham

Tracey Connolly

Martin Evans

Leave a Comment